03 March 2010

An Answer to Prayers

About a week ago, I had one of my roughest days in a long time. I even started a blog about it, got halfway through, and quit because I was just so depressed by how awful that day had been. Later I realized that it would be silly of me to finish such a lame and depressing blog post, and that I was indeed wallowing in my own self pity. One thing that I will relate from that terrible day is the fact that my original form of payment for my final semester of school had been cancelled, and I was left holding a $3,023.85 bill for school. While Seth and I are in the position to be able to make payments on such a large sum, we were definitely NOT prepared to take that much money out of our savings or putting that much onto our debt. Needless to say, I was in the depths of despair. After talking to Seth that night about all of my numerous problems, he said simply "we will just have to pray harder". So, that night, I actually got down on my knees and prayed out loud to my Heavenly Father, (instead of my usual praying in bed, half asleep method), asking him to please help me through these times, and that if he could possibly help me find a solution to the tuition problem, I would be very thankful. The next day I received a call from Veterans office, telling me that they had located a $3,000.00 scholarship for me, if I was willing to pay the additional $23.85 for the remainder of my tuition. I was floored. I knew Heavenly Father was awesome, but this?! I could not believe how quickly Heavenly Father had answered my prayer, and Seth's. We definitely were not expecting a scholarship of this size to present itself, and we both know it never would have had it not been for our answered prayers.

Another answer to prayers came in the form of a blessing to our family. Seth's brother Dane and his wife Katie had just been given the news that the transmission in their truck "blew up" following a routine transmission fluid change. This was indeed, not good news for anyone, especially when one considers how pricey mechanics can be for things as big as a transmission. After what had happened with my tuition though, I knew Heavenly Father could right any problem that he faced. Again, I knelt down, and humbly asked Heavenly Father to bless Dane and Katie in their time of trial. A week went by of this kind of prayer, and again, Heavenly Father delivered. It turns out that the transmission did not "blow up", but instead had a small air bubble in the line, causing there to be less fluid than was needed for the truck to run. This was a very simple problem to fix, and the truck runs just fine again, without the hefty price of a new transmission. WOW!!!

I know that I was not the only one praying in these situations, but I know that Heavenly Father truly listens to us and blesses us if we put ourselves in the position to be blessed. My testimony has grown so much from both of these examples, and I thank Heavenly Father everyday for this church and all of the blessings that I have received since I have become a member. Knowing that he cares about our problems, that we are not alone, and that he wants to help us with our trials is such a wonderful feeling. I know that my Heavenly Father hears and answers my prayers. I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the one true church. I know that without my Heavenly Father's help, I would not be making it in any way, shape or form. I am so very grateful for this church and for all of the blessings I have received from being a member, and I say these things in the name of His Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.

4 comments:

M&M said...

AMEN!!! Thanks for your post it was amazing!! I am so thankfull for the church and couldnt imagine my life without it!!! I deffinatly believe in the power of prayer after all I do have the mircle growing inside me to prove it! Im glad things are going better!! I miss you jayno!!

Seth and Jayne said...

=D it is so wonderful to read this, babe. i am so thankful for our answered prayers as well! and it is wonderful to read your testimony. thank you for this post, it means a lot to me!

Katie said...

Thanks so much! We definitely needed that one answered! That is incredible that you someone found you a scholarship. We had heard about them cutting off the grants for military wives, but we had thought you would be safe. We are so glad it all worked out! How is the little one growing? The book is amazing that Bjorn did. I will send your copy, but not Oliver's next week. Love to you all!

Shayne and Chelsea Heap said...

Now that I am a complete mess....thanks so much for that! I really needed that right now! I am so grateful that you joined the church and came into Seth's life and then ours! We have all recieved so many wonderful blessing that we should be continually thankful for! Can't wait to see you guys next week!